Potatoes - cooked and mashed. As much as you'd normally use for a family meal.
1-2 onions, diced
2 or so cups applesauce, or some apples cut up, cooked and pureed
Sausagemeat - I would use 1kg to feed 7-8, or adjust to suit
1-2 dessertspoons raw or white sugar
1/2-2tsp curry powder (optional)
Cheese, grated, to top (optional)
1. Peel, cut up and cook as much potatoes as normal for mashed potatoes. When done, mash.
2. Peel, core and slice 3-4 apples, and cook in pot until just tender. Place slices in blender with just enough of liquid to puree to smooth. Or use bottled applesauce.
3. Dice onion. Sprinkle half of the onion over bottom of roasting dish.
4. With wet hands, pick up and roll small amounts of sausage meat into even size pieces (I went big-ish in the one pictured, but back in the day, would do them walnut shell sized). Lay in single layer in roasting dish on onion.
5. Sprinkle rest of onion over.
6. Place sugar in cup. (Optional: add curry powder and stir). Sprinkle evenly over sausage meat.
7. Drizzle apple puree evenly over top.
8. Spoon mashed potatoes over entire dish and smooth out. Optional: top with grated cheese.
9. Bake 180C for one hour.
While cooking, make salad or cook other veges.
Serve with tomato sauce.
A cheap, tasty and filling meal for a family, this can be made with sausage meat (available in tubes or trays from supermarkets and butchers) or you could cut non-precooked sausages into short lengths and arrange the rounds in the tray. (Or squeeze the meat out of the casings, and proceed as below).